Monday, August 3, 2009

Sad Chicken

Last week I ordered delivery from Jitlada, one of my (and Jonathan Gold's) favorite Thai Town restaurants. But something in the green curry apparently turns the chicken blue. Granted, Jitlada specializes in southern-style dry curry, which doesn't use coconut milk, so maybe it's just that typical green curry isn't its forte. Next time I'm there I'll have to remember to ask whether they add food coloring to the dish. And no, I didn't eat it. I'm sure whatever was making the chicken that color was harmless, but I'm afraid blue food is just unappetizing, spinal benefits or not.


Green curry, blue chicken

3 comments:

Annie Louden said...

Aw, it doesn't look that blue.

hane said...

the picture doesn't quite convey the meat's true hue... i swear it was like a dr. seuss book!

j gold said...

Wow - that is an alarming color. Jitlada does in fact make a wonderful green curry - the homemade fishballs with green curry is one of their best dishes -but I have never encountered anything like robin's-egg-blue chicken before. I think I'll stick to the fish balls...