Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Fiery Harvest

With the whole city covered in a thick blanket of smoke, the so-called Station Fire has pretty much consumed my thoughts along with all the vegetation in the San Gabriels. But I've been worried about another Southern California wildfire, too, in Oak Glen. The hamlet nestled in the San Bernardino Mountains 60 miles east of Los Angeles is famous for its apple orchards, and right around now is when harvest season begins.


Apple orchard in Oak Glen

Every fall, tourists and local families alike flock to the farms dotting Oak Glen Road to pick their own apples, pumpkins, and berries. Gorgeous mountain scenery, crystal blue skies, and the promise of homemade apple tarte tatin made the day trip to Oak Glen one of our favorites of last year. I had just been thinking about planning another outing when news of the blaze broke.


Riley's at Los Rios Rancho

Luckily, it sounds like firefighters have made good progress on the Oak Glen Fire, and no people, animals, structures, or farms have been harmed.


A fine specimen

3 comments:

NLS said...

Why yes I am a fine specimen aren't I? Seriously though folks, Oak Glen (a name I cannot utter without launching into a passable Huell Howser impression) is also great for escaping the Autumn LA heat. It was at least 20 degrees cooler up there in Oak Glaen. WOW!

Octopus Grigori said...

I'd like to check it out. Apple-picking is the primary recreational activity in my hometown back in CT. We even have a big Apple Festival in October.

[One suggested edit: Firey should be Fiery, I think.]

hane said...

thanks OG. that misspelling was embarrassing and totally inexcusable!!